Matthew brings a flexible and informal approach to his practice at the Bar. He will tackle a legal point of any complexity in the pursuit of a practical solution for the client and pursues cross-examination with dogged determination. He was Highly Commended in the Barrister of the Year category of the Blockinsure News on the Block Property Management Awards 2011-2012. Matthew’s practice covers the broad field of commercial and chancery litigation. The largest single aspect of his work recently has been in the field of corporate and personal insolvency, with property-related disputes (including landlord and tenant matters) and general commercial and chancery matters (including matters of company law) putting in a strong showing. Matthew happily makes himself available to deal with emergency situations arising at awkward hours and to advise and assist at the convenience of those instructing him.
Matthew’s recent cases include:- success at first instance in a high-value non-domestic ratings dispute; successfully defending proceedings relating to unemployment cover; obtaining an 11-year bankruptcy restrictions order; service charge disputes in the residential property tribunal; representing two of the three successful defendants in a 6-day trial in an unlawful eviction matter; sale and rentback litigation in the residential sector; written advocacy for the defence in a directors’ disqualification case leading to proposed proceedings being dropped; the successful rectification of a will.
Other recent work of Matthew’s has included:- advising on probate matters; advice with a tight deadline on the effect of a shareholders’ agreement in relation to bids for shares; advice regarding alleged unlawful financial assistance by a company in the purchase of its own shares; advising and representing trustees in bankruptcy in relation to transactions at undervalue and preferences; applications for interim injunctive relief.
Matthew has extensive experience of general commercial disputes and also has some experience of public law proceedings and employment tribunals and an interest in European Union law. He recently assisted a solicitor in the successful resolution of issues with the SRA.
Matthew was appointed a member of the regional panel of counsel to the Crown for Newcastle and Middlesbrough in 2007 for a five-year term and has been regularly instructed in that capacity. He speaks German, French and Spanish to a high standard.
Matthew is a contributor to Enterprise Chambers Annotated Guide to Insolvency Legislation and Practice (Butterworths / LexisNexis, 2006).
Areas of Emphasis
- Insolvency - All aspects, corporate and individual including all stages of the winding up and bankruptcy process, disputed debts, injunctions to restrain presentation or advertisement of winding up petitions, applications to set aside statutory demands, validation orders, insolvency appeals, annulment applications and bankruptcy restrictions orders, as well as matters relating to voluntary arrangements (both CVAs and IVAs).
- Company - Including directors’ duties, directors’ disqualification, shareholder disputes and financial assistance.
- Commercial - Sale of goods, finance and consumer credit; litigation on behalf of banks involving securities, mortgages and guarantees; general contractual and commercial disputes including in relation to utilities and works to premises.
- Property - All aspects including covenants, easements, boundary disputes and disputes regarding sale and rentback transactions; litigation in relation to legal and beneficial interests in land.
- Landlord & Tenant – All aspects, recently with a particular emphasis on unlawful eviction and service charge disputes.
- Banking - Litigation on behalf of banks involving securities and guarantees; defending banks in proceedings brought by consumers.
- Probate – All aspects.
Career & Associations
- Highly Commended in the Barrister of the Year category of the Blockinsure News on the Block Property Management Awards 2011-2012.
- Corpus Christi College, Oxford – MA Jurisprudence (Law with German Law) (1999); BCL (2001)
- Called to the Bar in 2000
- International Courses, United Nations University
- Admitted as an Attorney in New York State in 2003
- Member of the Chancery Bar Association
- Member of the New York State Bar Association