Celso has extensive experience in advising and acting for international insurers and reinsurers (including Lloyd’s syndicates) in relation to back-to-back, follow the settlements, claims co-operation and control clauses as well as the operation of multi-jurisdictional reinsurance arbitration clauses.
Celso has regularly acted in re/insurance disputes in most classes of insurance, including professional indemnity, public liability, construction, engineering, E&O, casualty, offshore energy and financial risks.
Business Interruption Insurance
- Advising several policyholders, such as national electrical equipment retailers, R&D biotech laboratories and care providers, in relation to potential business interruption policy claims arising out of Covid-19 restrictions.
- Acting for reinsurers on multi-jurisdictional issues arising from All Risks Property Insurance Programme of major steel plant in largest South American business interruption losses, settled for over US$500 million, arising from the collapse of dust collector.
- Acting in US$200m international arbitration on behalf of London reinsurers relating to contingent Business Interruption Insurance losses arising from damage to supplier of major steel plant in South America.
Construction, Offshore and Marine Insurance
- Acting for Far Easter insurers in relation to WELCAR claim against reinsurers concerning exclusion to existing property and buy-back extension of coverage in a Damage to Existing and/or Surrounding Property Clause.
- Acting for London reinsurers in relation to a Construction Reinsurance claim by a South American government due to design defects in the construction project of a highway.